Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jobseeker2/public_html/wp-content/themes/jse/content.php on line 28
Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jobseeker2/public_html/wp-content/themes/jse/content.php on line 29
Weekly Tip #7: Mature Job Seekers are at a Disadvantage – Understanding and Combating Ageism During Your Interview
Make ageism a nonissue by employing strategies to overcome this bias:
- Only detail the past 10 years of experience on your resume
- Replace statements about your years of experience with expressions of enthusiasm: “this is my area of expertise”, or “this is what I love to work on.”
- Don’t volunteer information that indicates your age, i.e., don’t talk about your child’s college.
- Stay up to date with innovations and stay curious about new approaches in your industry.
- Commit to a healthy mind and body. Adopt popular activities that you can share such as hiking, biking or surfing.
- Project a nonhierarchical approach. Avoid discussions of titles, management realms, or subordinates. Areas that are no longer relevant in collaborative work environments.
You don’t need to wear a hoodie and All Birds but try to avoid dated styles in your wardrobe and accessories.