It’s not just what you say during a job interview that matters, it’s also how you say it with body language. Your body language in particular. Since it’s universally accepted that nonverbal communication makes up more than half of our overall communication, it’s important to be aware of the signals you’re sending.
- Be aware of your body language from the moment you walk into the job interview or appear on the computer screen.
- Lean forward and demonstrate that you’re interested in each interviewer.
- Make eye contact to indicate that you’re listening and understanding by nodding, etc.
- Be mindful of hand gestures. While they can help emphasize points during an interview, too many gestures can come off as distracting.
- Sit Up Straight. Slouching can make you seem uninterested or even bored during an interview.
- Smiling is one of the easiest ways to convey warmth and enthusiasm, don’t forget to smile as much as appropriate during your conversation.
Demonstrating strong nonverbal communication skills shows potential employers that you have poise and confidence. For more tips on how to nail the job interview, whether it’s in-person or online, contact us at 760 310-9598 or contact us.