You are contacted by a recruiter. After vetting them and the opportunity, it’s not an opportunity that aligns with you or your career objectives. Make a good and lasting impression by gracefully declining. Like you, their time is valuable. If possible, build good rapport (be memorable) and share with them your value proposition, as there may be future opportunities that might be mutually beneficial.
- In a few sentences, describe your areas of expertise your interests, and your ideal role.
- Ask how you might be able to be a resource to them.
- If possible, provide a suggestion to a friend or coworker who might be a better fit for the job.
- Request a connection on LinkedIn and stay in touch.
- Send a thank-you note and the hyperlink to your LinkedIn page as a follow-up.
Visit www.jobseekersedge.com to schedule a free strategy session to learn more methods for interacting with recruiters and other ideas about job search.