If you are conducting a job search while still employed you will need careful planning and strategic outreach.
- Always ensure that the time you spend on your job search is your own. Conduct your search after hours and outside of the office.
- Do not use any of your employer’s resources (email, phone, computer).
- Keep your LinkedIn profile updated – sudden and significant revisions can alert your peers and managers.
- Do not post your resume on job boards.
- Be sure to ask recruiters for confidentiality and only work with a select few that you believe are best positioned to advance your career.
- Even if you are unhappy in your current position, always be positive about your company and management
- Use social media judicially – opt for direct communication via email whenever possible.