Along with the request of “Tell me about yourself,” this is the second most awkward/uncomfortable/difficult question for interviewees to answer. Be prepared…. Do your homework on the company and role to craft your responses.
Be specific when responding.
- Express your personal passion for the employer’s product/service/mission and be clear about your ‘Why’.
- i.e. ‘X’ is very important to me, personally and professionally, because I strongly believe……”
- Explain why you would enjoy the responsibilities of the role.
- i.e. Analyzing data is exciting to me and using numbers to tell a story.
- Share how you see succeeding in this role, given your skills and experience. Express confidence in your ability to succeed and grow.
- i.e. I work best in a collaborative environment and I like to align all departments/appropriate parties to achieve our goals
Employers want to know that their investment in you will contribute to their success. If you convey passion, enthusiasm, and optimism with specificity, you will leave the interviewer thinking – “We want you to work here.”
Need more assistance with interviewing, see our Nail The Interview program at www.jobseekersedge.com