You Only Get One Shot at a First Impression. Make it Count.
Your interviewer’s impression of you will be established within the first 60 seconds. Don’t miss the opportunity to radiate your likability and competence.
- Be on time. Allow several minutes to check the mirror, take one last look at the job description – and still be a few minutes early.
- Dress appropriately. Go light (or sans) perfume or cologne. Think neat and professional – without bright colors or trendy fashions.
- Offer a firm handshake and make direct eye contact with the interviewer.
- Smile and show enthusiasm. Project an approachable, positive attitude and a friendly demeanor.
- Do your homework! Study, memorize and rehearse. Know everything you can about the company and the job challenges. Demonstrate exactly how your experience intersects with their needs.